Coconut oil has become extremely popular these days as a healthy oil to use in and out of the kitchen. If you haven’t caught on to the coconut oil craze yet, you will be surprised at how many health and beauty uses for coconut oil there are!!
I started using coconut oil a few years ago, but more recently, I’ve started using it more and more after witnessing its many benefits. Coconut oil has dramatically improved the condition and health of my hair and skin, so I am pretty much obsessed!! Recently, I learned a few more (life-changing) ways to use it and I am so excited to share these tips with you!
So here’s what you need to know:
Coconut oil is considered a “healthy fat” superfood. (About 20 years ago, people believed that coconut oil was bad for you, researchers are finding out more and more, that this is not true. Read on for the deets :)
According to WebMD, coconut oil is high is about 90% saturated fat, called medium chain triglycerides. The body digests and uses this type of fat easier than other types of fats. Coconut oil can help stabilize blood sugar, keep your heart and brain function healthy, its antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal, and it gives you energy that can help with weight loss!! Coconut oil can also be used for many DIY beauty treatments (more diy beauty here), making it the ultimate multi-use oil.
Before we get to the health and beauty uses for coconut oil, you should know about the DIFFERENT TYPES of coconut oil!
Chances are you will see refined, virgin, or extra virgin coconut oil at the store. Refined coconut oil, sometimes labeled as expeller-pressed, is more processed, has neutral taste and smell, and a higher smoke point than virgin. It is usually used in cooking, when you don’t want a strong coconut flavor. Virgin and extra virgin coconut oil has NOT been bleached, deodorized or refined (the difference between virgin and extra virgin depends on brand, so check labels!). Some virgin coconut oils claims to be “COLD PRESSED“. This means to no outside heat was use to make the oil. In other words, cold pressed virgin coconut oil, will have more antioxidants, and usually a stronger flavor, and smell.
Look for these words when purchasing coconut oil: extra virgin (or virgin), organic, cold-pressed, and raw. Again, make sure to check the labels!!!
You can purchase coconut in the oil section at most grocery stores, or click here or here to order a jar of organic, cold-pressed coconut oil off Amazon.
This coconut oil is organic, raw, cold-pressed, non-refined. Purchased from Whole Foods.
Ok, so now you know the basics: It’s good for you, where to buy, and what kind to get. Now on to the fun stuff…
Here are my favorite health and beauty uses for coconut oil.
15 DIY Health And Beauty Uses for Coconut Oil
In the Kitchen
1. Cooking: Coconut oil has a high smoke point, making it perfect for cooking. Use coconut oil for baking, stir fries, or as an alternative to butter. (Vegan friendly!)
2. Add to Coffee: Coconut oil makes an excellent alternative to dairy used in coffee. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons to a cup of coffee, for a rich and creamy taste, that will make you feel like you’re in the tropics :)
Beauty & Body
3. Moisturizer: Coconut oil is my favorite moisturizer. It works better and is much better for you than most drug-store lotions filled with chemicals, and who knows whats else?! It is said to prevent and reduce the appearance of stretch marks, cellulite, wrinkles, and has an SPF of 4!!!! (Just sayin!!!) Try it!
If you suffer from dry skin, apply coconut oil to your skin right after you get out of the shower. Simply pat your self dry with a towel, places a small amount of coconut oil between the palms of you hands, rub until liquid, then apply to arms, legs, and wherever else needed. (This coconut oil that works great on skin)
4. Face Cream: Apply coconut oil to your face before bedtime, and wake up with clearer, brighter skin. It reduces redness, fights pimples, moisturizes and reduces the appearance of wrinkles..
Trust me, it works wonders! I even convinced my husband to start applying it to his face, and his skin look so much brighter and healthier.
5. Eye Cream: Add a few dabs of coconut oil a lightly rub in around eyes. Helps reduce puffiness, dark circles, and it brightens your lids.
Don’t be afraid to get some on your lashes, it helps them grow!
6. Breakouts: So I know it sounds weird to apply oil to a pimple, but it really works! Add a few dabs to the blemish and the next day it will be gone!
7. Makeup Remover: This is one of my fav uses. It takes my makeup off with irritating my eyes or skin like makeup remover does. Plus it smells better too!
8. Massage Oil: Coconut oil is solid at room temp, so put a small amount in your palms, rub together and now you have the perfect, all natural massage oil.
9. Lip Balm: Many people use lip balms containing some pretty nasty stuff. Coconut oil is natural and it helps hydrate and protect lips. It even has an SPF 4!
10. Shaving Cream: Coconut oil keeps the skin smooth and soft and prevents irritation. Try using instead of shaving cream or as an after shave.
11. Toothpaste: Mix coconut oil with some baking soda and you now have a natural whitening toothpaste!
12. De-Frizzer: A small amount goes a long way with the one, but coconut oil can work great as a de-frizzer. Apply a very small amount apply to tips of hair, comb through with fingers, being careful not to use too much oil, especially near the scalp.
13. Deep Conditioner: As I mentioned earlier, coconut oil has drastically improved the condition of my hair. I have thick, long hair with a million different textures. I get tangles, dreadlocks, frizz, and it is a lot of work to keep up. So I started using coconut oil, once a week, and eventually once or twice a month, for deep conditioning treatments. My hair has become so much softer, shinier, more manageable, and much healthier.
To do this you basically drench you hair in coconut oil (try this coconut oil ). Run your fingers through your hair until your every strand is covered in it. Especially focus on dry parts and the ends. Then wrap your hair up in a shower cap, bag, plastic wrap, or what ever else you have. Keep on for 20 minutes-1 hour. (You will look funny, but its worth it!) Shampoo/Rinse out, repeating until the coconut oil is out.
You can also apply a little when hair is damp as a leave-in conditioner.
Mamas & Babes
14. For the baby: Coconut oil is safe to use as a natural diaper cream or lotion.
When summer ended, and the weather got cold. My daughter got a patch of eczema. I applied coconut oil twice a day, especially after bath time, and the spot was gone a few days later!
15. For the nursing mamas: Coconut oil is safe to use to sooth and repair irritated, sore nipples from nursing.
There is a million more ways to use coconut oil. These are just a few of my favs. Do yourself a favor a get a jar! You will love!
Anyone else have a favorite use for coconut oil?